Do you really think that your child has got something else that might not be seen in other kids of his/her age?
As per the age-old adage, every child is special, and every child is gifted in a way recognised by few. There are times when prodigy of an extraordinary child goes unnoticed, simply because of some extraneous factors or lack of insight or judgement on the part of parents. A child being surprisingly genius is not really different than the other kids but he/she well versed with the ability to showcase his/her talents, intelligence and intellect at the right time and in front of right people. It is not just about academic prowess of a child but one is supposed to work on overall development of a child to accelerate the all round inbuilt sense of self confidence to outshine others.
The basic problem that still continues to persist in our society that parents are pretty much ignorant of the fact that how to accelerate the grooming without altering their natural instincts of winning, performing well and competitiveness. Making your child overtly competitive can do more harm than good since child wouldn’t mind hurting or causing damage to something for the sake of winning. Amidst this mad race, we cannot really turn our children into competitive robots ready to destroy or annihilate anything or everything that comes in their way. Right values of healthy competition and willingness to strive or thrive in the competitive environment should be necessarily inculcated in the minds of the children from their early years so that they achieve whatever they wish to but not at the surrendering themselves to the havoc of mindnumbing rat race.
The theory of raising exceptionally brilliant kids
• Independent learning: let your child’s imagination wander and soar it to the highest peaks of the sky of creativity. A child who is constantly imagining, adapting, thinking and learning all the way through his/her own experiences and at his own pace. Self learning is the purest and quickest way of learning and the more they strive to think through the problem on encountering the one, the more they are able to stretch and flex their thinking muscles, simply enabling them to come up with the simplest and yet quickest solution of the problem they have lying before them undisposed. Independent learning only advances them to think ahead, to outstretch their limitations and expand their visionary horizons. It also enables them to think deeply.
• The eye on the fish vision: it’s always good to set your kid’s focus on a single project at once. A child usually have a dwindling attention span which might hamper the effectiveness and efficiency which is required for the completion of one particular task. Building up a focus as steady as mountains is not as easy as pie. But once a child happens to develop such a focus, it is likely to help him/her bring perfection onto the table, not just on their academic front but also on their personal front. This soft skill will go a long way in making your child exceptionally brilliant.
• Encourage freedom: are you a parent who trusts more on the opinions of nosey aunties and condescending uncles than your kid?
Caging your kid behind the walls and clipping his/her wings if you think is a sureshot way to turn your child’s lackadaisical approach upside down overnight, then you might be absolutely wrong. A kid’s geniuses lies in his/her ability to act freely, think freely and react independently as per the demands of the situation. A child should be left freely, not unsupervised though, but yes; a child can function best in a carefree environment, with no restraints and inhibitions holding him to act in a way or manner he perceives right and plausible. Allow your child to breath in fresh air rather than restricting him through unreasonable rules of disciplinary actions and condescending commands.
• Be inquisitive: if your child is often found throwing the most random and weirdest questions at you every now and then that sometimes boggles your mind and pisses you off a great deal and you end up shutting him/her up. I still remember when I was a kid, I had attained vicious pleasure in annoying the hell out of everyone around me by the weirdest and the most random and quirkiest questions one can ever come up. My mom couldn’t help but roll her eye balls out in utter annoyance sometimes 😛 but I couldn’t keep my mouth shut. If your child shows similar sort of signs then never try to put a limb on his/her inquisitiveness like most of the set of parents often do. An inquisitive mind is the sign of highest levels of IQ, which is a staple for a genius brilliance you wish to see your child’s personality adorned with.
You should also keep asking them questions to keep their creative and imagination juices flowing through their system. Ask questions, and acquaint them with the resources from where they can seek the answers of the mysteries swirling through their genius brains.
• Setting expectations: it’s all in the favour of your child to set some early expectations. Since elementary school, we all know that we will be grown up adults some day and heading for college. So, setting up early expectations from them, not the lofty ones, but achievable ones, say, short term targets that they have to achieve within a stipulated time period is something that will keep them self aware of their progress without putting them under tremendous pressure.
Unlocking the genius which already dwells within a child somewhere but remains hidden unless a force pushes it out of those cryptic dungeons might not be as easy as it sounds. It’s a methodical, and step by step approach but yes, these are some of the most effective tools to unleash your child’s creative potential.
It is true that we cannot make a genius. We can only give to teach child the chance to fulfil his potential possibilities.
~ Maria Montessori