The third trimester of pregnancy – is defined by a plethora of changes that the body undergoes as it prepares to deliver the baby. Along with all the hopes and happiness that peaks with the imminent arrival of the baby, you might find yourself staring sleeplessly at the ceiling at odd hours of the night.
The third trimester of pregnancy – Sleeplessness isn’t only a result of all the pent-up anticipation for the baby. You may be intrigued to know, that your sleeping position during the third trimester of your pregnancy is actually very crucial; mostly because your tummy is now growing larger to accommodate your growing baby.
Read also : Must have Breastfeeding Accessories
You may also like: The Best Pregnancy Creams
Below, we have decoded the exact positions that could help you sleep comfortably and ensure that your baby is safe too in your third trimester of pregnancy.
1. Sleeping on the side, especially the left side, is one of the best sleeping positions, as this ensures proper blood flow to your baby, as well as oxygen and nutrients.
2. Pillows and cushions could be used to get more comfortable while sleeping. If possible, it would be an excellent choice to invest in a curved pregnancy pillow that is available specifically in maternity stores.
3. If you find that you are having problems with back pain, use the “SOS” position, and try placing a pillow under your abdomen as well.
4. Lying down on the bed may not exactly be comfortable during the third trimester. If you find yourself cosier on a comfy chair or a sofa, go ahead and doze off.
5. The kind of clothing you wear can help too. Wear clothes that are loose and comfortable. Also, make sure you wear fabrics that are skin friendly.
You may also like: From a Girl to A Woman
6. Avoid spicy food especially at night. This is because too much spice can cause a heartburn which can further hinder your sleep.
7. Speaking about food, a glass of warm milk can work wonders into helping you fall asleep.
8. Since, you will be in your third trimester of pregnancy, sleep becomes increasingly uncomfortable, expecting a normal, spontaneous sleep routine is not practical. Instead, a fixed sleep routine could be maintained so that the body is conditioned into falling asleep at the same time.
Read also : 7 Best Pregnancy Oils for Pre and Post Pregnancy
9. Mental health and anxiety issues are common with pregnancy and are a major factor in keeping you up. To prevent that, a little meditation before sleeping can help clear the mind and concentrate on the positive side of pregnancy.
10. Sleeping on your stomach should be avoided at all costs. This is because both the stomach and the breasts grow large to prepare for the baby and it might be very uncomfortable.
You may also like: A mother is a nurturer but she needs nurturing too
Pregnancy does bring a lot of changes in the woman. It is a special feeling for most women. However, if you find yourself suffering from serious insomnia or sleep disorders, it is always the best decision to visit the doctor and get his/her advice.