60 grams of brown rice
400 ml milk
6 to 7 tablespoons grated or powdered jaggery (add per taste)
5 green cardamom pods, seeds powdered
A pinch of saffron, soaked in a tablespoon of warm milk
1 teaspoon rosewater (optional)
Caramelized/ honey roasted/ plain nuts (to garnish)
Dried rose petals (to garnish)
- Rinse the rice and soak it in a litre of water for about 5 hours.
- Then drain the water from the rice and grind the rice into a coarse paste in a blender or food processor, add water if needed. Keep aside.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan.
- When it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and add the ground rice.
- Cook with constant stirring till the mixture thickens and the rice is cooked.
- Add jaggery and mix well till it dissolves.
- Add cardamom and saffron (and rosewater, if using). Mix well.
- Pour the phirni into earthenware bowls or other serving bowls.
- Garnish with nuts and rose petals and refrigerate it for at least a couple of hours.
- Serve cold.
Read Also: 11 Tips to Say No To Junk Food