A bite of wellness – good old mushroom soup!
This milky mushroom soup recipe may not be packed with complex ingredients, yet it is, one of the most delectable (and filling) dishes one can have.
Ingredients for Mushroom Soup (Serves 4)
- 400 gms mushrooms (washed and sliced)
- Half litre milk
- Half finely chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- Cornflour 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 0.5 tsp dried oregano or thyme (if you are using fresh herbs then a couple of twigs are good)
- Garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro/ coriander for garnishing
Read Also: A fun way to relish noodles: Roti Noodles
Method of Preparation for Mushroom Soup
- Heat oil in a pan, add one tsp oil – crackle bay leaf, add mushrooms and cook until the juice evaporates and the mushrooms are well done (on low flame), let them cool, make a puree in a grinder and set aside.
- Take another pan, one tsp oil, and sautee onions, add mushroom puree and cook for about 20 seconds.
- Mix milk, water, and cornflour together then slowly add to the mushroom puree – keep stirring till the soup thickens.
- Bring it to boil and let it cool a little.
- Sprinkle some coriander on top and serve hot.
Calorie Count – 131 calories per serving of 250 gms (approximate)
Tips & Tricks
- Add a little fresh cream to make it more rich and thick – this would also spike up the calorie count to 300+ calories per serving.
- Add finely chopped and sauteed pieces of mushrooms, if you like your soup a bit chewy.
- Reduce this soup a bit more, and it can be used as a pasta sauce or a gravy with pan fried/ grilled chicken/ fish.
- Dried herbs give twice the aroma and flavour, so exercise caution while using them.
- The secret to deep flavour of the soup is, slow caramelization of mushrooms, so avoid high flame while cooking mushrooms.
It is an easy peasy recipe, loved by everyone at home. It is flavourful, simple, filling and wouldn’t make you hungry for a long time; rich in nutrients like calcium, iron, protein, potassium, phosphorous and zinc. So, wear your chef’s hat and create some magic in the kitchen today!